What is the PE & Sport Premium?
Since 2013, the Government has provided substantial primary school sport funding. This funding was being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and will see money going directly to primary school Headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Schools have to spend this funding on improving our provision of PE and sport, but we have the freedom to choose how we do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- new or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- buying necessary equipment to enhance PE and Sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs.
Funding for 2019 to 2020
The £320 million PE and Sport Premium will continue in the 2019 to 2020 academic year, however we are waiting for details of this year’s allocation.
How do we be spend the PE & Sports Funding and who benefits?
The Governors agree that the money must be used so that: all children benefit regardless of sporting ability; that the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in advanced tournaments; that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development.
Over the years, funding has been used to provide, amongst other things, a specialist sports coach to teach curriculum PE to all pupils to raise the quality of teaching PE and sport in school. CPD was also provided to improve confidence amongst staff in the delivery of high quality PE lessons across the school. We purchased an outdoor gym and other necessary equipment to enhance PE and Sport at Hillside and to promote a healthy and active lifestyle. We feel that this is the most effective and efficient way for the funding to have a long lasting and positive effect on future learning and physical development of children within our school.
Please click below to see how we have spent the money so far.